Thursday, September 9, 2021

Cheesy Louisey

After the hiatus caused by the Level 4 and 3 weeks, Burger Wellington is back with a rescheduled bang! Now running from 8th September until 3rd October, lockdowns permitting, so I’ll be trying some of those tasty burgers over the coming weeks.

First up, I went local. After my adventures on the first day at Level 2, I decided to reward myself with a burger from local joint, Gorilla Burger. Their offering is called the Cheesy Louisey, and is described thus: Juicy Lucy gouda-filled patty with Swiss cheese, smoked brisket, pink pickled onions, bacon jam and cheddar mayo in a Brezelmania cheese milk bun. There’s no Garage Project beer match as Gorilla have a tie-in with rival local brewers Double Vision. The waiter offered me a taste of their cream ale, currently on tap, but I didn’t like it – it tasted of cream soda. So I had a tin of Fortune Favours Adventurer instead. It looked like this: 


How was it? Well, messy would be a good way to describe it. They don’t offer you cutlery at Gorilla Burger. You’ll also note an absence of fries. Now, some burgers come with fries, or other accompaniments, as part of the deal, and some don’t. Where they don’t however, the waiter should ask whether you want fries with that. In this case they didn’t so I went without. Flavour-wise, it held up, although half of the cheddar mayo deposited itself outside the bun on the first bite. Despite this, the bun maintained integrity to the end. This despite the bun being cold - not even room temperature - and had clearly not been toasted in the required fashion. The smoked brisket, however, was surprisingly good: the right amount of smokiness, and well-cooked to fall apart – sometimes it remains chewy, and this is not what you want in a burger. Even so, it’s not a brilliant burger. I rated it 7/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment