Monday, October 26, 2020

Pao Bao

On Friday I had a Zealandia By Day tour booked. We’re coming in to the long weekend for Labour Day in New Zealand, so the Tours Team had opened up some of the ZBD tours to paid guides in order to meet the expected demand. I booked myself in to take the 1000 tours for Friday, Sunday and Monday.

After the tour was over, I drove into town in search of burgers. Mr Go’s is an Asian street-food type place on Taranaki Street, and the food there has always been tasty. I thought I’d give their burger a go (ha-ha, do you see what I did there? 😉 ).


Burger Wellington describe the Pao Bao like this: Kung Pao chicken with Shoots NZ microgreen slaw, pink pickled onion, red pepper and Sichuan mayonnaise in a housemade steamed bao with skin-on shoestring fries. The Garage Project beer match is Noon Juice, one of the new brews specially created for Burger Wellington this year; and one I’ve had before, and found to be thoroughly acceptable, so I opted for it again.

It looks like this:


As you can see, a bit unwieldy. Also, being a bao bun, I find that these can be a bit doughy, so I decided to remove the lid and use cutlery to tackle this burger instead. The Kung Pau chicken was sweet, spicy and tasty, and the fries crisp. As I expected, it was a little bit bready and I didn’t finish the bun. I did finish the fries though, because they were good. Overall, another good burger, and I’m scoring it 8/10.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment