Friday, August 23, 2019

Wagyu Wonder!

In between gigs on Tuesday, I found myself in Wellington CBD and with an hour on my hands. Time to pop into Pico Eatery & Bar, the establishment that sprang from the ashes of Zibibbo, one of our favourite haunts of yore. Pico is a more casual establishment, and I’m not sure how long it’s going to last: every time I go there it seems to be empty. Either it gets real busy of an evening, or it’s not long for this town. In the cut-throat world of Wellington hospitality, it wouldn’t be the first and won’t be the last to succumb. The fact that the owners seem to be concentrating their efforts on Union Square in the Martinborough Hotel doesn’t bode well.

Nevertheless, I thought I’d give their Burger Welly entry a go. It’s called Wagyu Wonder! And it’s described like this on the WOAP website:  Wagyu beef patty with double smoked Cheddar and truffled onion jam in a brioche bun, with triple cooked fries and smoked Cheddar fondue. It looks like this:

 

The Garage Project beer match was Fuzz Box, but as I had to work in the afternoon, I decided against it.

So, how was it? As I’ve found previously with their burgers, there’s no point in messing about trying to eat it with your hands. So straight in with the knife and fork. This was an above-average cheese burger, with smoked cheese, none of that pesky lettuce stuff which some people seem to think should be in a burger, and great skinny fries. It definitely gets the thumbs up from me, and I scored it an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment