Saturday, August 27, 2016

BBW

It’s the final weekend of Wellington On A Plate, and I’ve been thinking hard over the last few days what my final few burgers are going to be. I was thwarted in my ambition to get to Five And Dime yesterday, but I’d already made my decision for the final weekend. After our dance lesson had finished, we moved the car and headed to Muse Eatery and Bar, to try their BBW burger. Muse, you’ll remember, was an offshoot from the now-defunct White House restaurant on Oriental Parade, and they’ve consistently provided top-class nosh. Since their move to new premises in Victoria Street, they’ve “democratised” their offering somewhat with lunchtime specials, and a pasta menu, as well as their fine dining.

Their Burger Wellington entry, The BBW Burger, is described thus:

Wairarapa wagyu beef with baby watercress, Kāpiti aged gouda and mayonnaise in a Clareville Bakery brioche bun, with triple-cooked chips.

There’s no Garage Project beer match, but they are offering a choice of regional drinks as their Dine Wellington menu, so I chose the Panhead Pilsner from the list. Nicola decided to try the Dine Wellington menu of beef cheek pappardelle, with a Nga Waka sauvignon blanc from Martinborough.

The burger comes in a box:


Opening it up, you can see what’s going on:



I lifted it out of the box, and noticed that the meat juices had leaked out of the burger already. The bottom of the bun was soggy. I tried to eat it with my hands, but bun integrity was immediately compromised, so I put it down and used a knife and fork. It’s a double patty burger, with plenty of cheese and mayo, and baby watercress (not lettuce, thank god). The triple-cooked chips were good, but the tomato sauce didn’t have a look of being made in the kitchen. The beef had been cooked through – there was hint of pinkness in the end of one of the patties – so this could have been better. This was a good burger, but it’s not perfect. I’m scoring this an 8.


No comments:

Post a Comment