Monday, September 8, 2014

The Mikado

We parked on Allen St and walked around the corner to Zibibbo, my current favourite restaurant in Wellington (if you hadn’t guessed that already), there to meet with Macbeth some of Nicola’s work colleagues, and others, for a pre-theatre dinner.

And thence to the Opera House, there for me to lose my Gilbert & Sullivan virginity. That’s right, I have never been to, or seen in any other medium, a G&S opera. The touring production of The Mikado reached Wellington for its final shows last week, and we’d booked tickets some time ago to see it.



If you know the story, you won’t need me to explain. And if you don’t, there’s always the intertubes. Whether this was a good production or otherwise I am sadly ill-equipped  to judge – I’ll need to see it again to decide that (expect an update to this blog in about 20 years). Nicola knows all the songs but for me, as a first-timer, it was a bit difficult to make out all the words so I probably lost out on some of the nuances in the libretto. (Get me with my technical talk!) Anyway, it all seemed to be good fun, and the conflict was resolved in the end, and (spoiler alert) everyone lived happily ever after.

So that was my introduction to Gilbert & Sullivan. Whatever next? Unfortunately their website doesn’t inform us what their next production will be, so you, like me, will just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment