Saturday, August 16, 2014

Frijoles Fodongas Burger

We were casting about for somewhere to get a burger for lunch in Miramar. Polo CafĂ© was fully booked, and we couldn’t get through on Coco at the Roxy’s byzantine telephone system. Next up…La Boca Loca. Yes, they had a table!

I’d been along to Moore Wilson's earlier in the day, where they were hosting an open-air event for the entrants in the Mindfood producer awards. I fell into talking with the cheesemaker from Kingsmeade cheese, whose emmental was so sorely lacking from yesterday’s burger experience. Unfortunately, he didn’t have any emmental with him. We then got talking about other cheeses, and I lamented the lack of availability of sheep’s milk. He told me that he milked his own, but that he also sold it, and it would be available at his stall in the Hill Street Farmer’s Market from October (it’s lambing season at the moment, so he hasn’t got any right now).  I took his card and promised to contact him when we’re ready to take up cheesemaking again.

So, the Frijoles Fodongas burger: frijoles are black beans, and this is a vegetarian burger…yes, the dreaded beanburger! It was served in a blue corn gordita (yes, I had to look it up as well). One look at it told me that trying to eat this as a normal burger – i.e. with your hands – would be a mistake; bun integrity would be compromised almost immediately. We tucked in with knives and forks.



As you’d expect with a Mexican dish, it was spicy, but not overly hot. The “burger” was also quite frangible. Accompaniments of spicy potato wedges and a creamy avocado dip rounded out the dish. There was no Garage Project beer match, so I went for that old standby, Tuatara pilsner, to wash it down.

Overall, this was a tasty burger. Next week I’m going to get on with some proper, meat-patty-in-a-bun type burgers, but the introduction to the competition so far has been with two slightly different types of burger. I scored this one 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment