Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Boys Are Back In Town

This weekend, the NZI Rugby Sevens come to town. The tournament is played over Friday and Saturday at the Westpac Stadium. Today there was a parade of all the teams through the centre of Wellington, with their cheerleaders. I didn’t manage to see the whole parade in my lunch break, but from what I saw the Argentinians definitely had the best cheerleaders!



The England team went through on their float.



Tickets for the tournament sell out very quickly, and many people rely on getting them through corporate allocations. We were too late this year, but I think we’ll go and do it one year sometime in the near future. It’s traditional for Wellingtonians to wear fancy dress for the tournament, so we look forward to seeing those over Friday and Saturday – and possibly posted on here over the weekend. On Saturday night, Courtenay Place is closed to traffic and it turns into one giant party venue once the tournament is over.

New Terms

Dancing restarted a couple of weeks ago – this term we’re learning the rumba, samba, and improving our other dances – in particular (so far) our foxtrotting. And the quiz at the Backbencher started again on Tuesday – we started the season off with a creditable 2nd place – would’ve won if we’d got the connection round right!


2 comments:

  1. Yo Bro,

    You must have posted this literally seconds before I blogged on this morning. Rugby 7s weekend sounds like a blast. Wasn't this a big deal in HK, too ? Anyways, enjoy !

    We had our Mexican Night at school last weekend and from all the feedback, it was a hoot. Very successful and huge fun - the atmos, the nosh, and notoriously, the cocktails. By some weird twist of fate, I ended up running the bar and shaking the shakers (got my old job back, again). My margueritas were rather strong and people got a bit messy and I believe some lost their legs. I stuck to Sol with a lime in (hey, remember 1989 ?) and wine, so fared rather better than some. Plus I had to clear up in the morning. However, I did wear a moustache, a sombrero and danced my crazy boots off until late. I was also Latino DJ and did the sounds. Latino Lounge-cheese for dining (Lenny woulda been proud) and pumpin' rhythms (what, pray are . . . . ?) later.
    I am being blamed for a lot of headaches. Still. And it's Thursday.

    Tonight us girlies are going to see Black Swan. It's about a hundred years since I've been to the movies, so I am much looking forward. However, I've seen Mr Aronofsky's work before and he takes you to a dark, dark place - so I'm not sure it's going to be a barrel of maracas tonight. But I guess one ought to get up with the Oscar fodder.

    Must do some work.

    We've got sunshine today. Yeay.

    More anon,
    H x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds great. I wish the Germans would get into Rugby so we can enjoy this kind of thing.
    Oh well - six nations starts tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete