Saturday, November 27, 2010

Ossum

Ossum, which rhymes with possum, is a word used in New Zealand to mean any number of things, from “thankyou” to “OK” to “that really is the coolest thing, ever”. We were out shopping today, and in one shop we bought an item that cost $7.50. After paying for it, the sales girl said “ossum”. To my mind, that’s not particularly ossum. Ossum would be to buy stock to the value of several hundred, nay thousand, dollars.

Later, I bought some wine off the internet. On completing this transaction, I was informed that some ossum wine was now winging its way to me. OK, they spelled it correctly on their web page, but even so, it seemed a bit of a strong claim. Whilst I appreciate their efforts to big up all the wine that they sell, not all of it is going to be ossum. To be honest, I bought the stuff because it was cheap (OK, on special offer, but even so) and it’s just an ordinary, weekday glugging wine.

If it turns out to be ossum, I’ll let you know.

In the meanwhile, here’s a picture of the bucket fountain in Wellington:



That’s quite impressive. But is it ossum?


4 comments:

  1. Oh god, I'm going to start saying ossum now, and sound like a teenager circa 1997. Awful.
    Very funny tho'. Made me lol. Can't believe I typed that, either. Sound like a teenager circa 2002.
    Well, I made a profit on my marmalade, but have a few jars left over. Shan't send you one for fear of a disaster en route (yes, your postie could be Paddington in disguise and you'd never get it).
    But taking money off people for something I've made was, frankly, ossum.

    Enjoy your wine. Let me know if it is.

    H x

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS forgot to say . . . the bucket fountain is very nearly ossum. But not quite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heide - shouldn't that have been "offal"?

    Saw Harry Potter in the week -that was most definitely ossum! The weather here, however, is not. Can we all come to yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got snow ? We got snow. Suddenly it's Christmas. Crack open the mince pies! (I have to ration James - a steady drip is the best way - and he must not see where I keep them!).
    Must go out to the hut and bring me in some more logs - gathering winter fu-uuuu- el.

    ReplyDelete