Sunday, October 18, 2015

Tosca


It’s Thursday, so it must be opera night. I know, we’ve been gadding about town like mad over the last few weeks – concerts here, plays there, dinner at the other…it just happens that there’s a lot of things on at the moment that we want to go and see, and this being Wellington, they only have short runs. It’s just the way it is.

 Tonight, we dined at old fave Zibibbo – sharing a charcuterie platter then having fish of the day (kingfish – me) and a cured salmon with salad (Nicola). As usual, excellent quality nosh. Then we crossed the street to St James Theatre to watch Tosca.


Nicola had briefly explained the plot to me as we drove in to work that morning, with songs from the opera playing from her phone. Unfortunately the phone was in shuffle mode, so I got a very disjointed version of what was going on.

The setting of the opera has been updated to Second World Italy. Also, I am reliably informed that Scarpia is played by a much younger singer than is usually the case. Other than that, they did the usual singy thing that they do in operas, and I was able to follow the plot with the help of the surtitles. 

Er, that's about it. I'm not going to explain the plot of an opera - follow the link

1 comment:

  1. I told you the plot. A soprano and a tenor want to sleep together, and a bass wants to stop them. Welcome to opera

    ReplyDelete