We’d been to Nicola’s band’s launch of their pizza box, and afterwards decided to go to Mediterranean Foods to sample their Burger Wellington offering. After the disappointment of The Portlander earlier in the day I needed something a bit better. Two burgers in one day? The sacrifices I make for this blog!
Their burger is called Porko Rokko, and is described on the Burger Wellington site like this: Porchetta, with apple sauce, salsa verde, and fennel coleslaw in a Shelly Bay Baker potato brioche bun.
It looks like this:
There’s no DVB beer match, so I had a Parrotdog Bitterbitch
instead.
Where does the name come from? Well, there was a folded-over leaflet on the table explaining:
First off, it is immediately apparent that this is not a
burger, it’s a meat sandwich. Can you bite through it? With the thickness of
the slice of porchetta and the crackling surround I wasn’t even going to try –
straight in with the cutlery for this one.
I’d ordered a side of chips but these turned out to be superfluous – the size and the richness of the burger meant that I left half of them. Because this turned out to be more than just a meat sandwich – this was a Sunday dinner in a bun. The pork was cooked and roasted to a soft texture, there was ample salsa verde, the slaw underneath gave a nice bit of crunch and acid to cut through the richness of the meat, and the crackling crackled. It was really quite good. I’m scoring this 7/10.


No comments:
Post a Comment