Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Buck Yeah, Clive!

We’d been playing our usual bridge game on Wednesday but, instead of repairing to our regular post-bridge haunt, Arcimboldi, we decided to head to Café Polo instead. Arcimboldi are doing a burger, much to my surprise, but it turns out it’s just their usual beef schnitzel in a bun, with potato salad instead of fries.

Café Polo are usually pretty reliable. This year’s burger is called Buck Yeah, Clive! Who is Clive? I dunno. It’s a venison patty with beetroot relish, so Nicola asked for one without the relish, if the chef could do this without being driven to suicide by the philistinism of his diners. It’s described on the Burger Wellington website like this:

Venison patty, with beetroot relish, smoked cheese, pickles, and red onion ketchup in a housemade sesame seed milk bun, with skin-on chunky chips.

It looks like this: 


There’s a DVB beer match: Schandalous (Shandy). Shandy? Who drinks that these days? But this is a fairly grown-up one, coming in at 4.4%, with a slight lemonade-y sweetness to it. More a lager top, I’d say. Again, this is one brewed specifically for Burger Wellington, 

Venison can be dry, but they’d avoided that here, and the burger was nice and moist. My main gripe is with the beetroot relish: it totally overpowered everything else in the burger. There was cheese; couldn’t taste it. There were onions; couldn’t taste 'em. There were pickles; yes, I could taste them. So this was a pickle-y, beetrooty flavoured sandwich with some protein added. Could’ve been anything, really. Less is more, people! Less is more!

The fries were café standard, nothing to write home about there. I didn't spot any with the skin still on. This was a pick-up-and-eat burger, and structural integrity held out until the end. The beer match was a waste of time – I might as well have been drinking soda water for all the flavour I could taste after that beetroot. So, my advice is: order it without the beetroot relish…Nicola definitely got the better deal here. You can thank me later. With these failings, I score this a 5/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment