And they’re off! Yes, once again Burger Wellington, the burger competition of Wellington On A Plate, has kicked off; this year for a three-week celebration of every way to put one food item in between two bits of bread…or something else, if the fancy takes you.
Over the past few years my forays into Burger Wellington have been fewer as I’ve tended to restrict myself to those available in the local vicinity. However, chance would have it that I have some errands to run in town on the very first day, so I thought I’d take myself to Pravda Café & Grill and avail myself of their offering, called Bovine Meets Coastline.
It’s described on the WOAP website thus:
Beef patty and prawn cutlets, with gruyère, cos lettuce,
pickles, thermidor sauce, and Dijon aioli in an Arobake potato bap bun, with
steak-cut fries and chipotle mayonnaise.
And it looks like this:
There’s a Double Vision Brewing beer match as well, which
happens to be one of my old favourites, so I had myself a glass of Chillax XPA
to wash it down.
So, how was it? As usual the lettuce was surplus to requirements, I’d’ve preferred them to leave it out completely. The two sauces combined with the lettuce meant that this was a burger for eating with a knife and fork – the slipperiness factor was just too much for hands. The three prawns were on a skewer, so hade to be removed from that before starting. Otherwise, this was a pretty well-made surf-n-turf burger.
The chips, though...I’d go to Pravda just for the chips. Crispy, crunchy, golden, delicious! With the chipotle (? I couldn’t detect any) mayo, they were fantastic. The beer is a good drop – DVB being our local brewery, I’m familiar with their range. I’ll have to look out to see if there are any special ones just for the festival.
Overall, a strong start, setting the standard for the rest. I’m scoring this 8/10.
No comments:
Post a Comment