Thursday, August 17, 2023

Deer In Dough

Tuesday night is quiz night at The Old Bailey, and we usually dine there when quizzing. As they’re also participating in Burger Wellington, this is a good opportunity to try their offering, Deer In Dough.

It described on the WOAP site as: Venison patty seared in duck fat, with crunchy red cabbage and fennel slaw, and plum and cherry chutney on a Brezelmania charcoal milk bun, with crispy skin fries and aioli.

And it looks like this: 


The Garage Project beer match is Good Shout, but they don’t appear to be promoting that at all. Anyway, I had my usual Black Dog Chomp.

What can I say about it? Venison is a tricky meat as it can be a bit dry, due to its leanness. The black burger is, well, a gimmick really. I found the whole thing fitted the name a little too well – it felt quite bready and doughy to me. I was able to pick this one up and the bun maintained integrity until the end, despite the slaw and chutney filling. The fries were their usual, no sign of crispy skins on them. Overall, this felt a bit like they’d phoned it in. I scored it 5/10.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment