Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Barbacoa Madness

We were on our way to see Wicked, and decided that we’d try a burger at Eva Pub, on Eva Street, as it is reasonably close to St James Theatre. I haven’t been to Eva for quite a while, but it hasn’t really changed – it’s a bustling city centre pub.

Their Burger Wellington offering is called Barbacoa Madness, and is described on the WOAP website: Beef patty, with marinated slow-cooked beef brisket, shredded lettuce, grilled pickled onion, red salsa, cheddar cheese, and secret mayonnaise in an Arobake milk brioche bun, with Salsero white and blue corn chips with birria broth and guacamole.

It looks like this: 


The Garage Project beer match is Dirty Water: Cherry Peach. This is a seltzer, which I’m not a fan of, so I went for a Panhead Supercharger instead.

There’s a lot going on here: firstly, this is a stacked burger, so I went in straight away with cutlery. The burger was juicy, and on top the brisket was tender and not chewy. I’ve had bad experiences with brisket before, as it can be chewy if not slow-cooked for a good few hours, but this was really good. Also, in previously years there was a sudden craze for smoked brisket, most of which tended to be oversmoked and therefore totally overpowered the whole burger…not the case here, there’s no smoking. The other ingredients were also present. Onto the accompaniments: the corn chips were good, although I could’ve used a more generous helping of guacamole – I know, I know, the cozzie livs and all that. Overall, this was a good burger, and one of the best I’ve had this year. I scored it a 9/10.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment