Thursday, December 9, 2010

Taking It Seriously

New Zealanders take their sport seriously. Very seriously. They also take women’s sport seriously – far more so than in the UK.

Prompted by an ad I heard on the radio, I looked up Whitcoull’s (one of the large bookshop chains here) top five books at the moment:

  1. The Free Range Cook – Annabel Longbein: NZ cook publishes cookbook to go with her TV programme in time for Christmas, unsurprisingly popular.
  2. Dead Or Alive – Tom Clancy: international bestseller…er…best-sells.
  3. Coasters – Al Brown: Kiwi chef goes coastal, writes book.
  4. Rescue – Anita Shreve: internationally-renowned author writes another book.
  5. Greatest Moments In NZ Netball History – Michael Binum: does what it says on the tin.

Yes, you read that right.


2 comments:

  1. Err - fascinating. Incidentally, I had a look at a prospect from one large book store here, and I didn't discover a single 'new' book. Made me wonder if nobody writes books any more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah netball - something I prefer to play rather than watch (or read about)

    ReplyDelete